24 September 2013

Climate Ride Update


I had every intention of blogging every day of this trip.  As you can see, that didn't happen.  It has been an amazing journey with some ups and downs, and I'm not just talking about the grueling hills!

This will be a quick update, as I'm using another rider's mini-keyboard and my phone to type it out, but I wanted to just let you know I'm alive and I'm having an amazing experience.  

Day one, we took off from Brooklyn, rode briefly through Manhattan before jumping on the ferry over to NJ.  We had a great picnic lunch after a tough 4.8 miles (joke) then took off on our way to Princeton.  Mentally I broke all of the days up into segments, but no matter how you look at it, it was the longest I'd ever ridden in one day.  47.72 miles according to my GPS.

Day two, we headed out from Princeton (and I'm glad I stayed in a hotel that night - more on that in the in-depth report) and into our third state of the ride: Pennsylvania.  The weather was amazing, the views were gorgeous, and it was quite a hike!  76.52 miles.

Day three, midway through.  We left Camp Innabah and headed through Amish country.  I saw plenty of evidence of horse and buggy, but didn't see my first actual one until just before lunch.  I was feeling a little off after breakfast, but managed to push through the first 3.8 miles to the bakery stop and on to lunch, where I downed a Sprite to help.  After lunch, missed a turn (as did a few other riders) but we were quickly back on course heading to Camp Andrews.  But not before a quick stop at the creamery.  Weather and views were again amazing, despite feeling a little under the weather.  59.53 miles.

Day four, today.  I woke up this morning feeling sick, having started feeling sick last night again after dinner.  Not sure if it's something I ate yesterday (but different foods at breakfast and dinner) or possible dehydration.  I'm feeling better now, but decided to take it easy today, and rode in the van the first 44 miles to lunch.  I managed to eat enough at lunch to sustain myself on the 20 miles to Pearlstone Retreat Center.  I got a shower and a massage, and am about to head to dinner.  

I'm going to try to upload a few pics, but be prepared for a full report - or day by day reports - in the coming days.  And if you're in DC tomorrow, come watch all 200 of us, plus any one who wants to join us on our last three miles, ride to the Capitol and make a statement for sustainability and better transportation alternatives!



No comments: